2.5% won’t touch the sides
Treasurer Michael Costa says a 2.5% pay increase will keep pace with inflation. ‘With my costs of living increasing more than 6% over the past year, 2.5% will send me backwards,’ said Josie Byrne, RN at Ryde Community Mental Health Centre and mum of Sam, 1, and Matilda, 3. ‘My child care costs alone have risen more than 15%,’ she said.
‘We’ve cut all non-essential expenses and we’re still struggling. We don’t go out, we rarely have take away and we haven’t had a family holiday in ages. We have nothing else to trim,’ said Josie.
In the past 12 months Josie’s expenses have risen:
Petrol : 18.9%
Housing : 7.1%
 Source: the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
Efficiencies delivered by nurses and midwives in the past two years
- Staffed 1,226 additional acute sector beds and community care equivalent services between 2005-2007. This figure will rise to more than 1,800 additional beds and community care equivalents by June 2008.
- Treated 2.28 million patients that present to emergency departments. This is an 8.8% increase (June 06-07).
- Dramatically reduced over 12 months elective surgery waiting list from over 10,000 to under 200 in December 2007.
- Dramatically reduced the urgent surgery waiting list from more than 5,000 in January 2005 to 114 in December 2007.
- Contributed to NSW hospitals meeting national benchmarks for emergency department performance in every triage category for the first time ever.
- Delivered new and more efficient methods of emergency care treatment such as fast track zones, ‘triage and treat’ and short stay units in emergency departments.
- Consistently improved off stretcher time.
- Assisted with a major increase in births.
What you can do
- Regularly visit the NSWNA website – www.nswnurses.asn.au – for updates on the campaign.
- Ask friends and family to sign the ‘Save Our Nurses’ petition.
- Write a letter to your local State Labor MP.
- Contact talkback radio and your local paper to raise the profile of the campaign and seek support.
- Contact your workplace NSWNA Branch Officials and offer to help distribute information.
- If you want information fast, make sure the Association office has your mobile number and email address – email these to email@example.com with your full name and membership number.