Available entitlements when caring for a family member

Question: I am a registered nurse working in a public hospital. My mother will require extensive support because of illness. Beyond FACS leave, what other leave entitlements do I have?

Answer: Clause 32B of the Public Health System Nurses’ and Midwifes’ (State) Award 2015 recognises that in such situations, access to sick leave, and other forms of paid leave, may be available if one is required to provide care and support to a person. The definition of the connection between the person and the employee to trigger access to personal/carer’s leave is extensively set out in the clause, and is by design meant to encompass a wide range of situations and relationships.