Casual conversion to permanent employment

Question: I work in a public hospital as a casual RN. I and other casuals are being told that we cannot become permanent despite working full-time hours for over 12 months, and despite vacant positions being available. Is that right?

Answer: No. Clause 29, Part II(B) of the Public Health System Nurses’ and Midwives’ (State) Award 2017 permits a casual to request conversion to permanent employment reflecting the hours regularly worked. This request should be in writing, and the employer should not unreasonably refuse. If refused, the reasons must be discussed and a genuine attempt made to reach agreement.