Industrial Officer, Member Industrial Services Team
Monday 11th September 2017
$118,256.00 per annum + 5 weeks annual leave
+ 12 RDOs + Christmas shut down
The New South Wales Nurses and Midwives’ Association (NSWNMA) in association with the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation New South Wales Branch (ANMF NSW Branch) seeks an Industrial Officer to join our Member Industrial Services Team on a permanent full-time basis.
In this role you will:
Progress Industrial Relations matters as allocated by the Manager, MIST including the provision of expert support, advice and representation to members and NSWNMA/ANMF NSW Branch union officers in the following broad areas:
- Application of industrial instruments
- Industrial advocacy in tribunals
- Industrial research, advice and negotiation
- General industrial research and advice to contribute to the achievement of the NSWNMA’s strategic goals
To be considered for this role you require:
- Demonstrated commitment to the trade union movement
- Commitment to strive for the advancement of nurses, midwives and the nursing and midwifery professions
- Thorough working knowledge of contemporary industrial relations legislation and practices
- Specific knowledge and preferably experience in the negotiation of collective agreements
- Specific knowledge and experience in the negotiation and tribunal advocacy of individual member and award/agreement compliance matters
- Understanding of industrial tribunal protocols
- Developed negotiation, advocacy and representation skills
- Experience in program/project development, implementation and evaluation ability including skills such as co-ordination, highly-developed consultation skills
- High level of initiative and ability to self-manage
- Ability to manage a range of complex issues/matters simultaneously, prioritise work
- Ability to exercise accurate and high level judgment about industrial issues, including those with union-wide sensitivity or implications, commensurate with level of experience in the role
- Ability to operate and deliver outcomes in a political environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High level of industrial research and analytical skills
- Flexibility to adapt to high pressure situations and meet tight deadlines under pressure
- Ability to provide professional leadership and direction to Organisers on industrial issues
- Ability to participate effectively as a member of a team
- Word processing and typing capacity to a level of reasonable self-sufficiency and working knowledge of Word, email and Excel (where required) programs, internet searching
- Ability to relate effectively with members/delegates/potential members, and employers/employer representatives
- Current driver’s licence (class 1A)
Relevant tertiary education:
- A degree including industrial relations, or alternatively arts, law or other broad social sciences discipline is relevant. An alternative is an extensive number of years experience working directly in the specialist IR field, most likely augmented by diploma or continuing education-level studies in IR.
- Experience in related fields such as work as an Organiser, Industrial Research Officer or Employment/IR Lawyer is an additional benefit but not a requirement
- Prior working experience in the trade union movement is an additional benefit but not a requirement
How to apply for this position:
Click here to apply for this position online. Your application must briefly address each point of the selection criteria found in the Industrial Officer position description.
Applications close by 5.00pm Friday, 29 September 2017.
NSWNMA/ANMF NSW Branch is an Equal Opportunity Employer and fosters a diverse workplace.