Nurses and midwives have always shared amongst ourselves some of the amazing, uplifting and special moments we experience at work. These stories inspire the nurses and midwives who hear them, as well as some who, after hearing such poignant stories, decide to take up the profession.
So without breaching confidentiality, let’s celebrate International Midwives’ and International Nurses’ Days 2017 by sharing our stories in prose or poetry.
First State Super is once again proud to help celebrate this short story and poetry competition by sponsoring the first prize of $2000, and the two runner-up prizes of $500. These prizes will be awarded to members or associate members of the NSWNMA who can tell an entertaining and inspiring story that promotes the wonderful work of nurses and midwives.
As well, readers will have an opportunity to select the winner of the Readers Choice Award of $500 sponsored by the NSWNMA.
Download the flyer 2017 Short Story and Poetry Competition here.
– Entrant must be a financial or associate member of the NSWNMA
– Entry must be original and the work of the entrant
– Entry must not have been published previously
– Stories/poems to be no longer than 2500 words
– Confidentiality must not be breached, patients/clients names must not be used. The facility in which your story takes place must not be identifiable
– Please keep a copy of your story as your entry/entries will not be returned
– The NSWNMA reserves the right to retain and publish copies of the entries, in The Lamp and on NSWNMA online (including nurseuncut.com.au)
– Copyright remains with the author
– Judges’ decision will be final
– Failure to meet the conditions above will render entries ineligible.
– There is no limit on the number of entries, but each entry must have its own entry form
– Complete the online application form
– Number and title each page of your story or poem
– Do not include your name and address anywhere on your story/ poem copies
– Keep within the word limit
– 3 copies of the story to be included for the judges and to be double spaced on one side only with a 2cm margin.
Read the short stories and poems from the 2016 competition.
Read the short stories and poems from the 2015 competition.
Read the short stories and poems from the 2014 competition.