Conversion to permanent at UnitingCare

Question: I work as a casual assistant in nursing in a nursing home operated by UnitingCare. While I am happy there and get plenty of shifts, can I become permanent to lock my hours in?

Answer: Clause 16 of the UnitingCare Aged Care Residential & Community Services Agreement (NSW) 2014-2017 sets out that as a casual employee, if you have been rostered on a regular and systematic basis over a period of 26 weeks, you have the right to request conversion to permanent employment. UnitingCare shall not unreasonably withhold agreement to such a request. Note that casual conversion will not apply if you have been covering absences of permanent staff that are expected to return to work.