Other leave okay to care?

Question: I am an AiN working in a public hospital. I took some days off to look after my sick child and ran out of personal/carer’s leave. Can I use other accrued leave?

Answer: Yes you can. Under sub clause 32 B (xii) of the Public Health System Nurses’ and Midwives’ (State) Award 2015, an employee may elect, with the consent of their employer, to take annual leave, long service leave or leave without pay to provide care and support. The use of annual leave under this clause is flexible, in that you can take up to 10 days in single-day periods, or part thereof, in any calendar year as agreed between you and your employer.