Journey Accident Insurance

The NSW Workers Compensation Legislation Amendment Bill 2012, which came into effect on 19 June 2012, effectively removed coverage for employees travelling to and from their place of employment, except in special circumstances.

Because of this, the Association has obtained Journey Accident Insurance for its financial members. This insurance took effect from 5pm on 18 September 2012.

The Journey Accident insurance does not replace the previous workers compensation arrangements, but does provide for financial members up to 75 years of age with:

  • Accidental Death Benefits up to $100,000;
  • A Weekly Bodily Injury Benefit up to 85% of average gross weekly salary for a period of up to 104 weeks (after a 7-day waiting period);
  • Tuition or advice expenses up to a maximum of $9,000. Tuition or advice must be provided by a licensed vocational school and is subject to prior written consent from the insurer and certification from a doctor that the tuition or advice is medically necessary.
  • Chauffer services of up to $2,500 per claim period for transport to and from the member’s usual place of work and their usual place of residence (required to be certified by a doctor);
    Return to Work assistance up to $20,000 per claim; and
  • Home / Car Modification Benefit up to a maximum of $20,000 per policy period.

Insured persons
All financial members of the New South Wales Nurses and Midwives’ Association are covered. It is important to note that you must be a financial member of the Association at the time of the accident to be covered under this policy.

Scope of cover
The scope of cover is events previously covered under the NSW Workers Compensation Act for employees injured whilst travelling directly to and from work and whilst travelling during recess breaks.

Claims reporting process
If you are injured travelling to or from work, you should contact the Association immediately for advice.

A claim form for Journey Accident insurance will be forwarded to you on request. Complete the claim form and return it, along with any documentation relating to your accident, to the Association via email: or fax: (02) 9662 1414. We will:

  • Confirm that you were a financial member at the time of the incident;
  • Examine the circumstances of your claim and and assist you with the submission of a Journey Accident claim form.