The report is a comprehensive synthesis of the most recent climate change science with a special focus on the Australian context.
Here’s what it has to say;
- There is no doubt that the climate is changing. The evidence is overwhelming and clear.
- We are already seeing the social, economic and environmental impacts of a changing climate.
- Human activities – the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation – are triggering the changes we are witnessing in the global climate.
- We need to start taking action now to promote new sources of renewable and cleaner energy, otherwise we will pay a much higher cost in the future.
- This is the critical decade. Decisions we make from now to 2020 will determine the severity of climate change our children and grandchildren experience.
As more and more advice like this comes from respected scientists, economists and business leaders, one has to wonder how long the Opposition will continue to play politics and wreck action on climate change a second time?
Taking action on climate change is the right thing to do. It is the right thing for our economy, for jobs and for the environment. Not only is putting a price on pollution critically important to our children’s future – it is about ensuring they have a healthy environment to live in, and new high skill jobs for their work.